These pets occupy the first places in the ranking of the cleanest; Cats are extremely concerned about their grooming and are very applied. Incontinence in cats is a reflection of having a health problem. An emotional or physical discomfort causes involuntary losses of urine.
When it is detected that the cat has made changes in its urination It is necessary to visit a veterinarian. Reproaches or punishments are not valid, since it is a situation that they can not control; In fact, surely the feline himself feels annoyed and uncomfortable when he gets wet.
Incontinence in cats is the inability to control the sphincters. Although it is more common in older cats, all kittens can suffer. The causes of the disease must be detected in order to carry out an adequate treatment.
- Older cats often start losing urine because their tissues are weakened by age.
- Congenital malformation. If there are deformations in your bladder or urethra, you may not have full control of your bowels. In these cases the disease begins to manifest in its first months of life.
- Urinary infection. They need to go to their waste box all the time and nothing comes out; then it happens that they do not arrive on time.
- Sterilization. This process suppresses a series of hormones in the animal. The absence of these can cause incontinence in cats.
- The overweight It also has a negative influence.
- Feline leukemia. They tend not to control their urethra especially while they are asleep.
- Feline cancer. The pressure exerted by certain tumors in your body causes incontinence.
- Calculations. Small stones that form with minerals clog the urethra; they also produce an inflammation of the bladder. The exit of urine is partially covered and begins to drip.
- Trauma of pelvis, hips or spine. The blows suffered in some feline accident can affect the control of urine.
- Emotional disorders. Changes in the environment due to a move or a new member to the family also affects them. If it is detected that the problem is emotional, it should be given more attention and time. Similarly, if incontinence persists, professional help should be sought.
The pet is going through a stage that may be more or less easy to overcome. The main thing is that its owner does not scold him for the loss of urine; his frustration could make the situation worse.
What they need is a lot of patience, love and support like any sick person; feel that they care about them and that they can reverse the situation. Placing more boxes with hygienic stones distributed in the house is a good way to start.
The losses of urine cause the cat irritations on the skin; it is necessary to prevent these situations, and increase the revisions. Every time we find him wet with his own urine, we have to wash it and dry it.
Assuming affective support, you must visit the veterinarian to achieve a diagnosis. Detecting the true cause of incontinence in cats allows prescribing the appropriate treatment.
The treatment is directly related to the cause that gives rise to the problem. In most cases good results are obtained; But the important thing is not to let too much time pass before asking for help.
- Hormone supplements They are usually applied when the cat has undergone castration.
- Antibiotics A regular intake of medications eliminates urinary tract infections, and can also control other diseases that cause incontinence.
- Catheter. In the most severe cases, a permanent catheter is placed to evacuate your urine.
- Surgeries These are necessary to make corrections of some deformations in the bladder or urethra. In the same way, when there are calculations that do not disappear with previous treatments.
- Diet. For cats with excess weight a low fat diet is recommended. It is difficult to change your eating habits, but it will help you have a healthier and more hygienic life.
- Collagen injections A new therapy applies several injections of collagen at the same time to strengthen the muscles that control the urethra.
There are no preventive measures for incontinence in cats; it's simply about being attentive to your health. When faced with an unusual symptom, you have to arm yourself with patience and resort to a professional.