Dogs and cats are very different and both have different needs. Whether these are medical, emotional, nutritional or otherwise, dogs and cats can not be put in the same drawer, so to speak. There are many people who believe that dog and cat food are similar and that both can eat it, but is it true? There are many reasons why giving a cat a dog food is a bad idea. Let's see them
Dog food vs cat food
Dog food is basically composed of Beta Carotene, which is a compound that the canine organism is capable of transforming into vitamin A.
Cats do not have this ability, so they need a food that already contains vitamin A. In addition, cats also need Taurine, an amino acid that dogs are able to create.
Canine food is low in fat and protein and high in vitamins, since it is easy for dogs to be overweight. But nevertheless, cats need a high protein content and also in fat, so if we fed a cat with dog food it could cause malnutrition and become seriously ill.
Of course, this is done continuously. Your cat will not die if a Sunday when everything is closed has run out of food and you give your dog, although it would be advisable that that day you gave your food or sausage or tuna, but if there are no options, no You can leave it without eating.
Although as much as your cat may like your dog's food, forget it, it's not what you need.
The same happens in the case of dogs: they can not eat cat food.
Tips for your cat to eat his food
It is possible that you have a cat and a dog and that both of them mess up a bit with their food. Or maybe you like the smell and taste of the other one more. If you can not teach each one to eat his own and identify his feeder, you can do several things:
- Change the feeder. Do not put two equal feeders, as this will confuse both animals. Choose different shapes and colors and show them which one belongs to each one.
- Put them in different places. Have each of them eat in different places in the house. If necessary, store the food somewhere that none reach and do not remove it until they ask for it.
- Mark schedules. If you leave the food there at the sight of both they will not be long in going to look for it and it is probable that they eat the one that is not theirs.
- Teach them commands. Although this usually works more in dogs, cats can also learn commands such as "leave that" or "no". It will help you every time you see your cat get close to other people's food.
Recipes of homemade food for cats
Of course, it can happen that the cat food ends one day when he does not want to or can not leave the house. Be proactive and talk to your veterinarian to see what kind of food you can give your cat. Here we leave you some ideas that you will already know if your cat can eat or not.
- Meatballs. Full of proteins, they will be a great food for your cat. The meat may have a little fat, but beware that it is not too much because cats are also overweight. Add vegetables, remember. Your cat also needs vitamins, especially A.
- Tuna with vegetables. It is as easy as taking a can of tuna, if possible in water, drain it well and mix small pieces of carrots or other vegetables. Do not add salt or any other condiment.
- Salmon. A piece of grilled salmon will drive your cat crazy. There is nothing that you like more than fish. If you do not have salmon, you can do it with another fish, but we do not know if your cat will love you more for it.
These are just some ideas, but you better know that nobody knows your friend and you know what he likes. Yes, remember that giving another type of food is just for an emergency, you should not take it as a habit.