It never hurts to remember that the human being is a great predator capable of destroying the planet that inhabits. Therefore, we must not forget the efforts made to preserve ecosystems with their animal and plant species. Today we tell you about some reserves of South American fauna.
- 1 Meet five South American wildlife reserves
- 2 Reserva Faunística Integral Península Valdés (Argentina)
- 3 – Conservation Complex of the Central Amazon Region (Brazil)
- 4 -Andean wildlife reserve Eduardo Avaroa (Bolivia)
- 5 -Reservation of production of Chimborazo (Ecuador)
- 6 -Reserva Wild Fauna Sabanas de Anaro (Venezuela)
Meet five South American wildlife reserves
Everything seems to indicate that, although late, the consciousness to preserve the natural wealth of this world is increasing. That is why the growing number of parks, refuges and sanctuaries scattered around the planet is celebrated.
In the so-called new world there are good examples of this. Here we detail five interesting samples of reserves of South American fauna.
Reserva Faunística Integral Península Valdés (Argentina)
Declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco, wolves and sea elephants and a great variety of birds live there, distributed in some 360,000 hectares northeast of the Patagonian province of Chubut. In addition, it is a breeding place for southern right whales.
The reserve has different areas of interest. For example:
- Island of the Birds, with a good viewpoint to observe, among other winged species, seagulls, terns, cormorants, penguins, oystercatchers and plovers.
- The North Punta elefantería, the only continental settlement of these animals.
- The elephant and sea lion colony of Punta Delgada.
- The settlement of birds and sea lions of a hair of Punta Pirámides.
- Caleta Valdés, with its islets populated by flamingos, Magellanic penguins, cormorants and other waterfowl. There are also elephant seals.
- In the steppe zone of the peninsula you can see herds of guanacos and flocks of ñandú petiso or choique.
We tell you details about some of the important reserves of South American fauna.
– Conservation Complex of the Central Amazon Region (Brazil)
The country with the greatest biodiversity on the planet has innumerable natural reserves. One of them is the largest protected area in the Amazon basin, also declared a World Heritage Site. The place, with more than six million hectares, has the largest variety of electric fish on the planet.
The Central Amazon Conservation Complex also houses endangered species. This is the case of the giant arapaima, the manatee of the Amazon (photo), the black alligator and two types of river dolphins.
-Andean wildlife reserve Eduardo Avaroa (Bolivia)
With 714,745 hectares of extension, and to the southwest of the Department of Potosí, is another of the reserves of South American fauna that we chose to highlight. At an average altitude of 4,000 meters above sea level, the place stands out for a series of lagoons populated by three species of flamingos (Andean, Chilean and James).
Other birds are also observed in the reserve, such as the horned soca and the suri. Among the mammals, the vicuña, the llama and the vizcacha stand out.
-Reservation of production of Chimborazo (Ecuador)
It includes the páramos that surround the Chimborazo volcano and covers 58,560 hectares 180 kilometers south of Quito. The reserve was thought, mainly, to carry out a Program of Reintroduction of South American Camelids. It should be noted that grazing with these animals conserves the original vegetation cover and protects the water resource.
In addition to llamas, alpacas and vicuñas, in the place you can see examples of páramo wolf, Andean weasel, deer of paramo, skunk, rabbit of the páramo, marsupial and cutin frogs, guagsas, lizards and some 31 species of birds. Between them:
- Hummingbird of the Chimborazo
- Ducks and seagulls of the páramo
- Andean Lapwings
- Large scholarships
-Reserva Wild Fauna Sabanas de Anaro (Venezuela)
In the Barinas State, in the west of the country, this reverse is found with its own fauna from areas of bank savanna, shoal and estuary.
Among the bird species include the gray heron and the chuzmita, the empty bird, the gabán, the corocora, the aruco, the duck güiriri and the osprey. On the other hand, the most representative mammals are: